One question that cropped up on numerous occasions during our recent Marketing Seminars was “How do I get my business listed on Google Maps”. So I thought it might be worth adding a quick tutorial to the blog: The process is quite simple, especially if you already have a Google account. Assuming that you do, there are 2 ways to handle this:
- If you can already see a basic listing for your business when you do a search on Google maps:
- Click on the “More” link in the details bubble, and select “Edit Details”
- After a few more clicks, you should arrive at a page where you can edit the company information, and accurately place the marker (you will need to be signed into your Google account to do this)
- Once you have completed your edits, click submit
- You will now be presented with a verification page, where you will be given a number of options as to how to verify your ownership of the listing. (note that if you have just claimed the listing, this verification process will probably be by post)
- Assuming that you are given the option, click “verify by phone”, and you will receive an automated call from Google with a 5 digit pin number.
- Enter this number into the box provided and you are done.
- Your listing will appear a short time later.
- If you cannot find a listing on Google, then log into your Google account, and select “Google Places” from the main accounts page. (alternatively, point your browser atÂ www.google.com/local/add/)
- You can then click the add business link, and enter your company details into the relevant fields.
- Select your country, and enter the phone number of the business you would like to add.
- If Google has your details in its database, then it will present these for you to edit. Alternatively it will present you with a blank entry page.
- Once you click Submit, you will then be taken through the verification process outlined above (from point 4)
The process is pretty straight forward, and shouldnâ€™t take mare that 10 minutes to complete.