There are so many different marketing services out there. How do I choose which is right for me?
Marketing should be about effective engagement with your customers and markets in a way that works for you, yet often particular marketing services are pitched as THE way to market your business. There is no such thing. Different approaches will (or won’t) suit different companies in different ways. My advice is to take a step back and consider some marketing realities:
- New marketing is always speculative – things might not turn out as you hope
- Beware anyone who offers certainty – they can’t
- If it looks too good to be true – it probably is
- There is always a cost – in time, money or both
- Good marketing is planned, considered and joined up in your business
So how do I choose?
When I’m looking at a new marketing approach, I ask myself 4 questions:
- Does the approach being offered makes sense to me? Forget the hyperbole. Does it look logical and practical – based on my own experience of my business and market?
- Can I see a joined-up path to achieving what I want to achieve? If I’m being offered a new website, I can expect to get a website but then what? How am I going to use it to get closer to my market and build opportunities?
- Am I comfortable with the commitment/cost?
- Marketing is a speculative investment. I should balance risk with reward. Am I prepared to live with the results, good or bad?
If I can answer Yes to all 4, then the decision is easy. If my answer is NO to any one. maybe I should think again?
Never forget, it’s your business
Sometimes marketing services are pitched in a way where it seems the supplier takes the responsibility and you don’t have to do much. While this can have an appeal, I would be cautious. You know more about your business than anyone else and this knowledge is critical if you want your marketing to be effective. It is the combination of your knowledge of your business and the technical marketing knowledge and experience of your supplier, working in a close relationship, that creates a platform to deliver solid, sustainable success. If you would like a free, no obligation consultation on marketing your business, give us a call on 01457 851111
BSA Marketing's mission is to make your marketing work for you.